Cyprus maintains a high profile as a jurisdiction that has been strengthened with its full membership to the European Union in 2004. With the updated tax legislation and the abolition of the ‘offshore regime’’, Cyprus’ taxation system is transparent and effective with full EU, OECD, FATF and FSF compliance. The result is a stable EU, ‘’non- offshore’ tax competitive jurisdiction with innovative tax planning potential for EU and non EU clients alike.
Cyprus offers amongst others:
- Double taxation treaties with more than 55 countries;
- EU membership;
- The lowest corporate tax rate in the European Union – 10%;
- No capital gains tax on non Cypriot fixed assets;
- No tax on securities trading;
- No controlling foreign corporation rules for trading companies
A constructive use of the Cyprus Treaties’ Network has rendered considerable advantages to businesses and individuals who have chosen to establish legal entities in Cyprus.
Tax Treaties legally supersede local tax legislation and for this reason they are a useful tax-planning tool to protect businesses and individuals against double taxation of income earned in other countries.
For a list of countries that have concluded double taxation treaties with Cyprus, Click here.